- African American Genealogy Records by State
- African American Genealogy on the Web
- Beginning African American Research
- Free African Americans of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland and Delaware
- Free African Americans in North Carolina Before the Civil War
- African American Griots
- Genealogy Blog Finder-African American Genealogy Blogs
- fold3 Black History Collection
- FamilySearch African American Resources
- African American Collections
- Large Slaveholders of 1860 and African American Surname Matches from 1870
- African American Photographs Assembled for 1900 Paris Exposition
- Afro-Louisiana History & Genealogy 1719-1820
- Free Black Heads of Households in the New York State Federal Census, 1790 - 1830
- Free Blacks and Mulattos in South Carolina 1850 Census}
- Blacks Found in the Deeds of Laurens & Newberry Counties, South Carolina: 1785 - 1827
- African American Genealogical Research at the Library of Congress
- Avoid Traps in African American Research
- African American research videos at the FamilySearch website
- Braxton-Secret, Jeanette. Guide to tracing your African Ameripean Civil War Ancestor: A Guide By An Experienced African Ameripean Family Historian and Military Researcher Who Traced Her Great-Grandfather, Iverson Granderson, in the Union Navy (1863-1865). Bowie, Md: Heritage Books. 2007.
- Burroughs, Tony. Black roots: A Beginner's Guide To Tracing the African American Family Tree. New York: Fireside Book. 2001.
- Byers, Paula K. African American Genealogical Sourcebook. New York: Gale Research. 1995.
- Gates, Henry Louis. In search of our roots: How 19 Extraordinary African Americans Reclaimed Their Past. New York: Crown Publishers. 2009.
- Jamison, Sandra L. Finding your people: An African-American Guide To Discovering Your Roots. New York: Perigee Books. 1999.
- Knoblock, Glenn A. "Strong and brave fellows": New Hampshire's black soldiers and sailors of the American Revolution, 1775-1784. Jefferson, N.C: McFarland & Co., Publishers. 2003.
- Rose, James M, and Alice Eichholz. Black Genesis: A Resource Book For African-American Genealogy. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Pub. Co. 2003.
- Smith, Franklin C, and Emily A. Croom. A Genealogist's Guide To Discovering Your African-American Ancestors: How To Find and Record Your Unique Heritage. Cincinnati: Betterway Books. 2003.
- Taylor, Frazine K. Researching African American Genealogy in Alabama: A Resource Guide. Montgomery: NewSouth Books. 2008.
- Witcher, Curt B. African American Genealogy: A Bibliography and Guide to Sources. Fort Wayne, Ind: Round Tower Books. 2000.
- Woodtor, Dee. Finding A Place Called Home: A Guide To African-American Genealogy and Historical Identity. New York: Random House. 1999.
- Citing Online African-American Historical Resources Quicksheet: Evidence Style, by Elizabeth Shown Mills
- Genealogy at a Glance: African-American Genealogy Research, by Michael Hait