A Salute to Our Friend
by Barbara Olivier
JIM IS ONE OF OUR MOST LOVED CHATTERS, as well as, a terrific research helper.
James M. Allen (a.k.a. TROMBIDIIDAE) born 3/8/35 in Nashville, TN graduated from Cohn High
School and immediately entered the U.S. Marine Corps.
His service took
him through the ranks from Private to Captain of Marines and service
in NC, MD, RI, TN, KY, Okinawa, Japan, GA, Washington, D. C., Vietnam
where he was Adjutant of an Infantry Battalion engaged in combat, and
then back to Washington, D. C. as Legislative Research Officer and
finally VA where he suffered a heart attack and was Retired from the
His service to Corps and Country earned him the Bronze Star
Medal with Combat "V"; Meritorious Unit Commendation; Vietnam Campaign
Medal with Device; Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross, with Silver;
Navy Unit Commendation; Good Conduct Medal with 4 Stars; National
Defense Service Medal with Star, Vietnam Service Medal with Stars and
the Combat Action Ribbon.
After retirement he entered Nashville State Technical Institute where
he earned an Associate of Science degree in banking.
He married Sydna Frances Dunn, September 21, 1955 at Dillon, SC, of
Sykes, LA, daughter of Sidney Clyde Dunn and Laura Gregory. She
was serving as a Lady Marine when they met at Military Justice School in
MD. They have three sons and one Daughter.
Paternally, his father was Shepard Lester Allen (1898-1971), Railroad
worker/Service Station owner - opened the
Sinclair Station on the corner of Main and Frey in Ashland City circa
1956, son of James Madison Allen (1870-1953), Stagecoach operator
between Ashland City and Nashville in the late 1800's and Ferry Boat
Operator on the Cumberland at Ashland City and retired Postal Carrier
and Lillian Brinkley who was recognized locally in Ashland City as a
Nurse and Midwife.
His great grandfather was Dr. George Sugg Allen
(1835-1924). who practiced in Nashville was owner of several properties
in/near Ashland having at one time owned Sydney's Bluff, the property
where the Ferry crossed the Cumberland and property on Elizabeth Street
on which the Central High School was built and now where the Elementary
School is located. He owned the Ferry at Ashland City at one time.
m. Jenetta Oakley.
His great, great, grandfather was James Russell
Allen ( 1806-1884) farmer and grocery store
owner on River Road; He owned property where River Bluff Park is
located in Ashland City and sold 44 acres of land in that vicinity to
James Lenox in order that Lenox in turn might sell 6 acres of the land
to the County to assure the County seat, Ashland City, would have a
river landing area.
He and other family members are buried just
inside the Cheatham County line on River Road. The cemetery was leveled
in the 1960's and a metal commercial building was placed over the
gravesites. He was a Deacon of the Methodist Church and authorized to
perform marriages and officiate at funerals. m. Polly W. Patterson.
His ggg grandfather was George Sugg Allen (1776-1853), who was a
Magistrate when Cheatham County was formed and farmer in the area of
River Road at what is now known as Lost Hollow where he and wife and
other family members are buried on a hill behind the first house on
the right which was built circa 1778-1802 and still stands though
completely renovated. m. Pharaba Russell who's father was James
Russell, scout and dispatch rider for James Robertson when the Nashville
area was first settled - he also owned a Ferry Boat permit to operate a
ferry at Pond Creek.
His gggg grandfather was Gabriel Allen (circa
1750-55-1820) who was instrumental in the establishment of Dickson
County, TN and who went on to MS and established a community there, m.
His ggggg was Jacob Allen (unknown-1762) m. Priscilla
Sugg Maund. All, with the exception of Jacob Allen, were residents
of what is (since 1856) Cheatham County - Gabriel and George Sugg having
settled in the area in the late 1790's and early 1800's.
Maternally, his mother was Mattie Jordan, daughter of Thomas H.
Jordan (1866-1952) farmer and part owner of the Farmers Mercantile in
Ashland and at one time ran the County Poor House near the mouth of
Marrowbone Creek. m. Sarah Cornelia Work who's father was a River
His great grandfather was Drewry McLean Jordan (1836-1909) farmer, m.
Virginia L. Crouch - daughter of Thomas Crouch and Heneritta W.
His gg grandfather was Norfleet Jordan (1805-1875), farmer in
the River Road area of Cheatham County, m. Emmaline Shadoin.
grandfather was Drury Jordan, Jr. (1765-67-1835), farmer in the River
Road area, m. Sarah (Sally) Cato.
His gggg grandfather was Drury
Jordan, Sr., (1733-after 1812) m. Mary (unknown). All, with the
exception of Drury Jordan, Sr., were residents of what is now Cheatham
Since retirement in 1972 Jim has participated in the society of
Cheatham County as a Cub Scout Master; member of the Veterans of
Foreign Wars Cheatham County Memorial Post, as Commander, Adjutant and
Chaplain; been a member of the Cheatham County Historical and
Genealogical Association since its' formation as Newsletter Editor,
Corresponding Secretary, Membership Chairman and Board of Directors
He has been President of the Forest Hills Cemetery Association
since 1993. He was selected Cheatham County Volunteer of the Year in
1996, the Tennessee Bicentennial Year. He is currently Co-Host of the
Cheatham County WebPage on the TNGenWeb. His political leanings are
strongly with the democratic party. His religious leanings are not
church oriented though he maintains a strong belief in God and the Bible
as the word offered for salvation.
JIM IS INVOLVED IN A NEW BOOK:
"Family History Book" that CCHGA is currently working to put
Return to the New Beginnings home page.